WHERE ARE WE?

We are located 2.3 kmeters from Zagreb Airport, in Velika Gorica, residential area Pleso. We are only 10 km away from Zagreb. The center of Zagreb is just 15-20 minutes away by taxi. Public transportation is excellent, there buses leaving for Zagreb every 10-15 minutes.

The residential area Pleso is a small town area belonging to the town of Velika Gorica, which is the center of Turopolje region. In the town there are shopping malls, post offices, police, emergency rescue, town administration offices, and the town center is only 2 km away from our accommodation facility. For those who may want to go sightseeing in Velika Gorica or Zagreb, we bring some important information:




 

 

From our history - The Roman town of Andautonia
 

Todays village of Šćitarjevo, situated about ten kilometres to the south-east of Zagreb. is the site of the former roman town of Andautonia, which existed between the 1st and the 4th century ad. the town was located in the plains of the Posavina region, at the point where the Roman road Siscia-Pcetovio crossed the river Sava. Thanks to archaological research we now know that andautonia covered an area of around 1000 metres (north-south) and 12.3 kmetres (east-west) and that it had paved streets, a sewage system, public buildings, residential areas and necropolises, as a municipium. by the 1st century Andautonia was already an independent town, but its territory administratively fell under the jurisdiction of the Panonija province within the Respublica Andautoniensium.

Velika Gorica

was first mentioned as a village in 1228. It became more important after 1560, when the region of Turopolje was granted the status of a privileged noble municipality. In Middle Ages, Velika Gorica became the center of the parish. The medieval parochial church was destroyed during the Turkish break-ins and the new one was erected in the second half of the 17th century. Back in the past, the major economic activity in Velika Gorica was trading, and fairs were regularly organized in the main square.

Besides trading, cattle breeding and forestry were developed in the whole region. The first school building was constructed in the 18th century, but it was demolished due to worn out condition and lack of interest of local population in education. The construction of the first railroad in Croatia, the one from Zagreb to Sisak, was very important for the wider area but not so much for Velika Gorica, since the railway station was located far from its center.

Economic development of Velika Gorica grew stronger at the end of 19th and the beginning of 20th century, with gradual urbanization and construction of the first buildings around the main square. The old square in front of the Town Hall and the church was called Konjski trg (Horse Square), because horses were marketed in the square, while the Square of King Tomislav was called Marvinski trg (Livestock Square) because there was a cattle market. Rich tradesmen built a number of houses (Tarbuk, Trdak, Čop, Rosner, Janeš, Fanton, Brigljević) to form the center of Velika Gorica. The noble municipality of Turopolje initiated a series of public projects, especially during the time that Ljudevit Josipović was the county head. It is the time that the buildings were built for District Headquarters, District Court, The First Croatian Savings Bank, public hospital, schools in Zagrebačka and Kurilovečka streets, and the leased villa for the Head of the District and the Senior Forrester of Turopolje.

The best-known builder of that time was Nikola Hribar who built the majority of buildings. In the year 1901, the population of Velika Gorica was 1041 inhabitants. The beginning of the public transportation in the town was the so called "horse-drawn streetcar" also known as horse car (local expression kojnača), which used to connect the center of Velika Gorica with the railway station and with the industrial zone in Staro Čiče, from 1907 until 1937. The town's development was interrupted by the Second World War. After the war, many residential buildings were built and Velika Gorica became a satellite town of Zagreb circle. In 1974, Velika Gorica became one of the municipalities of Zagreb. In 1995, it became an independent town. Sights to be seen in Velika Gorica and its surroundings are valuable archeological excavation sites. They date back from prehistoric times (culture of graveyards with urns), antic times (graves of early Roman emperors), and early Middle Ages (various items, ceramics used in the Carolingian cultural circle). Unique assets of Velika Gorica and Turopolje are wooden chapels and traditional wooden country houses of noble families, the so called "beauties of Turopolje".

The nearby Vukomerić Hills with vineyards, the rivers of Lomnica, Sava and Odra complete the diversity of the region of Turopolje. The region is rich with oak trees, one of the major natural resources. It is the oak wood that made it possible to build famous sacral and other wooden buildings. An old English oak tree called "Turkish" not far from Velika Gorica is a natural monument under special protection. The Town Hall of the noble municipality of Turopolje is nowadays Museum of Turopolje. In the narrow area of Velika Gorica., which includes the former villages Velika Gorica, Mala Gorica, Kurilovec, Pleso and Rakarje, not much of historical monuments have been preserved. The old square of Velika Gorica is the place where you can find the baroque town hall of the noble municipality of Turopolje, also called the castle of Turopolje, built in 1765, where an old wooden building used to stand. Today, it is the Museum of Turopolje. A number of historical houses from the end of 19th and the beginning of 20th century were partially preserved in the old core of the town of Velika Gorica. The most significant buildings are the neo-renaissance building of the District Court (today Municipal Court) from 1894-1895 and the building of the First Croatian Savings Bank (1907). The parochial church of Assumption (1893-1894) was built in neo-Romanesque style, based on the project by a Zagreb architect Hermann Bollé. Very little was preserved from the traditional wooden architecture. In the Pleso field, between the residential areas of Podbrežnica and Pleso, there is a wooden chapel the Wounded Jesus, built in 1896, on the site of a former baroque chapel.

We can mention the wooden country houses of families Modić Bedeković in Lomnica, which was the center of artistic life in Velika Gorica and the surrounding area, also the church. Barbara chapel in Velika mlaka.

A residential area with wooden houses in the former Mala Gorica, nowadays Turopoljska Street, was partially preserved. As for the modern architecture, there are several significant achievements of the architect Stjepan Planić.

 

 

 

 

Zagreb

Zagreb is the capital of the Republic of Croatia. To describe its history and cultural monuments, buildings to be visited and sights to be seen, in order to become familiar with this wonderful pearl of European culture, would take too much space on our web pages. Please, see the details on the official portal of the Tourist Association of Zagreb, http://www.zagreb-touristinfo.hr/